We also run 6-hour Nepalese courses at Chorlton & Didsbury
What will you cook in the 4hr session?…
Learn how to combine basic cooking skills and a few spices to create either ‘masu’ (chicken curry) or tarkari (vegetable curry), 3 varieties of ‘achhar’ (vegetable side dishes, a traditional dal (lentil soup) and perfect ‘bhat’ (fluffy white rice). By the end of the session, you should be well equipped with the skills and knowledge needed to continue to create tasty, Nepalese style curries at home. This 4-hour session will teach you how to transform everyday, local produce into a range of authentic Nepalese curries.
The main dish of Nepal is known as ‘dal bhat’. It is eaten by everyone in the country, twice a day, everyday. The literal translation of dal bhat is ‘lentil rice’, and it is these two components that are the cornerstones of the meal. Flavour and variety is added to the meal through the addition of curries and pickles, and every man, woman and child in the country will have their own style and specialist dishes. So, whilst it may sound like a very repetitive diet, in reality, it’s far from it. In fact, once you’ve tasted the dishes, and learned how to use the ingredients to make your own curries, you may even be tempted to follow suit!
?? ??? ????? (anyone reading this would sound out the words ‘dal bhat making’)
?? ??? ?????? (This is Nepalese for ‘Dal Bhat Making’)
Please let us know if you’d prefer to only cook the vegetarian options by emailing [email protected] after booking.
Feedback from previous events:
• Enjoyed all of it!
• Liked how straight forward it was compared to other styles of Asian cooking – and very tasty, the chicken curry is the best.
• Enjoyed the personal experience of Nepal that came across – very knowledgeable and like the ethical stance
• All of it was great
• Loved the use of spices and description of what they do in the curry
• Lovely to have a present of spices individually named
• Enjoyed learning to make food from a culture that I wouldn’t normally find in a cookery book
• Excellent teaching
6 people are attending Dal Bhat (Nepalese Curries and Rice) on 3 Feb 2018 – Vegan Option available!