- This event has passed.
Our Daily Bread with Rob 13 Jan 2018 (6 hours)
January 13 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£95
What will you cook…
You will make a 2lb wholemeal loaf, focaccia and rye bread, whilst hearing all about the history of commercial bread making in Britain, the science & the politics and the truth about why shop-bought bread lasts so long.
Rob will introduce you to the wonderful world of sourdough, showing you the start-and-end-stages of sourdough baking and sharing with you his starter culture, for you to take home and use yourself (please bring a suitable small container with lid).
In the middle of all this, you will enjoy a lunch of salad and pizza made from scratch during the morning.
This is our extended, 6-hour course in Bread Making with Cracking Good Food’s bread expert, Rob Tomlinson.
The extra time we’ve built into the course will allow you the opportunity to develop, or deepen, your understanding of bread and yeast-based baking, from the science to the politics, via the skills and the recipes, as well as more time for one-to-one tuittion from Rob.
You will learn all about the 5 main ingredients of dough, about the qualities of different types of flour, the way gluten works, the difference between yeast fermentation and reproduction, the importance of autolysis, kneading, proving and shaping, and you will gain a technical appreciation of the baker’s ‘kit’ from mixers through tins and ovens to spatulas. Rob will also introduce you to 3 new flours available at Village Greens, which generate particularly good bread making results.
At the end of the day, you will go home with a medley of bread to enjoy over the week ahead, your own sourdough starter, extensive course materials in a new 26-page booklet containing all the recipes and covering all the valuable insights and tricks of the trade that you have been introduced to over the course of the day, as well as the confidence and lasting skills to launch yourself into a lifetime of successful home bread baking.
All ingredients are bought from local independent retailers.
Feedback from last Our Daily Bread course: ’What aspects did you find particularly interesting/useful?’
- Really good to cover 5 bread making methods. Also the information about the flour and other ingredients was useful as this would not be included in ordinary cookbooks. – Simone
- Working with others – expert guidance-building up confidence by knocking down some breadmaking myths – Loraine
- All of it-fantastic to try so many recipes for doughs, brilliant to go home with fresh home made breads. Rob’s knowledge made everything accessible – Astrid
- Great session. Rob is clearly passionate and that came across. Good to talk about practical bread making as well as artisan bread – Jennifer
- Making a basic loaf, fascinated by the difference between a supermarket bread and home made artisan bread. The science behind bread making – Chris